Wednesday, March 9, 2016

INTERVIEW With Debut Author Ginger Sutter

I've been chatting back and forth with the author Ginger Sutter for several months now. We often talk writing and everything it entails - the good, the bad, and the sometimes ugly moments of writing, publishing and promotion. With the release of her debut novella Where There's Smoke There's Desire I insisted that she let me ask her a few questions so I could share with you her responses. 

First, some things I've learned about (or from) Ginger over the past 6 months.
  • Ginger Sutter is a pen name. Like many authors and artists, Ginger hopes and strives to maintain some semblance of privacy in her personal life. (Or maybe authors are simply endeared to the idea of living double lives? LOL!) 
  • This writing gig? Not for the faint of heart. There's a lot that goes in to writing a story. Then you've got editing, re-writing, formatting, networking, promotion, and a dozen other things that go into getting a published copy of your story into someone else's hands. We touch briefly on this in the interview below. 
  • You HAVE to stay positive. It's not easy to become a published author but the moment you let yourself get down, that's when it gets even harder!
  • It's good to have friends. Someone who will tell you if what you've written is crap or precious gold. Someone who will listen to you bitch when you're having a bad day and then give you the kick you need to get back to work. Someone to cheer you on and celebrate your success with you...
Now, everyone, I'd like you to meet Ginger Sutter.



[LDF] Ginger, is writing something that you’ve always wanted to do?
           
[GS] Truth? The spark comes and goes but at the end of the day, and I'm quoting from the film Just Cause here- "It's an appetite." 

[LDF] Did you know how the story you wanted to tell was going to go from beginning to end, or are you more of a pantser when it comes to writing?

[GS] Hmmm, damn is there a third, Commando option? [LDF- I had to laugh here, because even though I talked with her while she was writing this story, and read bits and pieces when she struggled, I honestly had no idea how she might respond to this question.] 'Cause I don't think there's a word strong enough to categorize my level of disorganization. More often than not, I start with random bits of dialogue and build the story around it, or I work from somewhere in the middle and bounce between the end and the beginning.  

[LDF] Why a paranormal?

[GS] It's my favorite genre to read, so it felt like a natural progression to write what I love.  

[LDF] Okay, so I have to ask. (In Where There's Smoke There's Desire) You’ve got dragons, sirens, pookas, sucubbi, nymphs, fairies, vampires, werewolves, gremlins and more. These beings span across multiple mythos and can be found rooted in the historical legend of many places world wide. Why so many? Why not focus in one mythos and then branch from there?

[GS] Honestly, it never even occurred to me to do it the other way. In my mind starting with this kind of diversity was the key to establishing roots for a series and would allow me to create story lines that will hopefully keep folks entertained for a good long while.  

[LDF] Your journey to becoming a published author has been somewhat of a rough road. What advice would you give to other writers who may be struggling to finish a manuscript or in getting it published and available to the public?

[GS] I would say keep these three things in mind...

1.A lot of things are going to go wrong. Nevertheless always maintain a professional demeanor. Common courtesy and proper appreciation will take you far.

2. Familiarize yourself with how to: Promote, Brand, and Network.

3. Edits. You will have to make changes and or corrections to your work, but when it really matters, stay firm on the things that keep the work your own; in the most respectful way possible. 

[LDF]  Alright, now obviously I loved Where There's Smoke There's Desire, and I can't wait to read more about (honestly) everyone we met in that story. So what’s next?

[GS] I'm playing with some thoughts for a second book in the Gate City Series, but first, in June I have another paranormal release coming. This one will feature Fairies, Demons, Angels, Witches, and Wolves. It's called Southern Belles Never Say Die. And, with any luck that will be the 1st in its own series. 

But, [LDF- I'm imagining a little wink and a nod at this...] I wouldn't rule out a crossover. 
 
[LDF] Ginger and I keep up a somewhat regular chat online and so after her debut went live on Tuesday morning, I shot off one last quick question to her... Your debut novella just released this morning. How does it feel?

And no jokes... This was her quick and dirty response...

[GS] Squeeeeeee!

~~~~~~~~~~~~ 



Happy Reading!

No comments: